"How to turn a soccer game day
warm up into an extra practice"
warm up can be used as another soccer practice session. The players will
get another 300-500 touches just going through the little exercises.
The soccer coach should have the players there 30 minutes prior to the
start of the game so they can not only to prepare for the game, but
improve the their soccer skills.
The players also need to have fun,
which is probably the most important factor in youth soccer training.
Soccer warm ups made easy
I like to start with a little dynamic stretching routine if the kids
are U10 or above. If the kids are U9 and below you can probably go
straight to soccer skills or a fun game.
warm up down channels:
- An easy way to set this up is two 10 yard grids marked out with disc cones.
kids start on one end line in groups of three and run down the channels
to the other side performing the dynamic exercises like skips, but
kicks, high knees, side to side, sprints, etc, etc.
to skills work with the kids using the cones that make up the 10 yard
boxes. Groups of three players line up on each cone facing each other.
- If the coach has more than six players he or she can throw down more cones to facilitate more groups.
- Try and keep the numbers small, like no more than 3-4 in a group. Players need to touch the ball to become more successful.
first player in group "A" dribbles his or her ball to group "B" and
leaves the ball for the player in the front of group "B" and runs to the
end of the line.
- Player with the ball repeats the exercise.
This will get the kids tons of touches before the game.
Dribbling exercises for warm ups
Dribble and drop.
- The player dribbles the ball - laces, and drops at the opposite line.
- The player can go faster when using the laces to dribble.
Foundation touches and drop.
- The player plays the ball between the inside of their feet while moving to the opposite line.
Inside - outside foot touches.
- The player dribbles the ball alternating the inside then the outside of the foot to get to the opposite line.
- The ball should change direction each time the player uses a different surface.
Toe taps and drop.
- The player toe taps to the opposite line and drops the ball.
- The player alternates feet and touches the ball with the soles of each foot, moving the ball to the opposite line.
Dribble roll and drop.
- The player roles the ball with the side of the foot and drops the ball at the opposite line.
Three touch passing warm up.
players takes one touch to trap the ball - inside of the foot, one
touch to move the ball off line - outside of the foot and then passes
the ball with the inside of the foot to the next player in line. The
player then sprints to the opposite line.
- Go wide with the second touch so it off line. This way when ot is live the player gets it out of the defenders path.
- Toe up, heel down and ankle locked when receiving and passing the ball.
If the player receives the ball with a good first touch the second touch with the outside of the foot will be easier to execute.
Two touch passing.
- The player traps the ball and then passes the to the next line.
player prepares the foot in advance when taking the first touch, so the
ankle is locked, toe is up and the heel is down when the ball gets
there. Otherwise, the player will take a bad touch.
One touch passing.
- The players play one touch passes and sprint to the opposite line.
coach can have a competition, say first team to hit 10 one touch passes
in a row wins the game. The coach can make it a mini tournament, best
out of three games.
playing one touch the players must prepare the foot for passing as the
ball arrives not when it gets there. Otherwise no telling where the ball
is going. :)
Once the players have gone the
coach can either play small possession games or have the players working
on through all the dribbling exercises on goal. The little ones like
striking the soccer ball!!
Another option is to split them up and one group shoot the soccer ball and the other group plays a fun soccer game.
Return to Soccer games from Soccer warm up