"Make practice fun while improving
dribbling skills thru relay races"
Relay races are a great way to get kids to work on their soccer dribbling, turning and passing
skills. There is not a season where I don't do some form of soccer
relays with the kids at soccer practice. The kids love the competitions
and challenges of learning to control the soccer ball.
- Touches on the ball
- Basic dribbling skills
- Soccer turns
- Passing and receiving skills
The kids get really good benefits with relay competitions.
How to set up the relay races
After a brief soccer dribbling warm up so the players have been working on turns and dribbling in the warm up.
Cones or flags, scrimmage vests, soccer balls.
Set up lines of cones 10-15 yards apart depending on what the coach wants to achieve. If the coach wants to add fitness into the soccer practice.
How to set up relay races...
are put into teams of 3-4 kids - try not to add more than 4 kids so the
players are getting lots of touches on the soccer ball.
lets say we have 4 teams of 4 players in each group lining up on a cone
in a line - again try and limit the numbers so we don't have huge
- Uneven numbers? No problem, make the first player in the groups that are short go an extra time.
What are the rules...
- The players must dribble down and back.
- The players must tag up before next player can go.
- Use the dribbling skill the coach gives the players.
- First team back and sitting down wins.
The kids go nuts when they win!
Dribble to the cone and turn with the sole of the foot and dribble
back. The coach can add any turn that the he or she wants the players to
use like a cut - inside and outside, step over or Cruyff turn.
- No ball - just run up and back to get used to the game.
- Dribble to cone with laces
- Dribble to cone with inside - outside touches
- Dribble to the cone by rolling the soccer ball with the foot.
- Dribble to the cone with toe taps.
- Dribble to the cone with two soccer balls
- Dribble to the cone with the laces using the outside foot to make a full turn around the cone.
- Dribble to the cone with the laces using the inside foot to make a full turn around the cone.
- Dribble to the cone and make a 2 full turns around the cone - can use either inside or the inside of the foot.
- Dribble to the cone by carrying two balls and dribbling one - balance.
the ball down and leave it stopping the ball with the sole of the foot -
run and tag the player in line and they go and get the soccer ball and
The coach has the same set up, but now when the player turns at the cone they pass the soccer ball to the next player in line.
There are so many combinations that the coach can have the players perform.
See if you can come up with some of your own!!
Return from Relay races to Soccer practice